Articles and Opinions
Nudity And The Law
SCNA cannot provide legal advice. While we try to keep current, the legal issues described in these articles may no longer be valid. Please be careful and consult a lawyer if you intend to do anything that may have legal implications.
Legal issues and stories in California are extenseive. We have collected our legal articles on their own page for easy access.
Enforcement in California State Parks
- SCNA Proposal to Parks Forward Commission (2014)to legalized 10 traditional beaches and some hiking trails in California
Men and Women
Nudist Movement Issues
- Nude Etiquette
- Nudity Required vs. Clothing-Optional Rules
- Single Women? Yes! Single Men? Go Home!
- How Nudist Parks Protect Against Voyeurs and Predators
- The Graying of the Nudist Movement
- Do Bare
PunsHurt the Naturist Image?
- The Debate Over "Appropriate Places"
- My Interview With Bill Schroer (Gary Mussell 12/14)
- YNA: Why Was Bill Schroer Fired? (Jordan Blum 12/14)
Nudist Family Values
- Editorial: "Nudist Family Values"
- About Kids and Family Nudity
- Should You Worry About Your Kids Seeing Naked Neighbors?
- Use Social Nudity to Abuse-Proof Your Child
- Where Have All the (Gym) Showers Gone?
Nudity and The Bible
- The Bible Supports Nakedness: Chapter and Verse
- Christian Nudists Have Nothing to Hide
- Commentary: The Religious Right Makes War on Nudism
Nudist Youth Camps:
- AANR Nude Youth Tells His Story
- Yes! Youth Camps Should Be Allowed
- No! Youth Camps Should Not Be Allowed
- Another Perspective on Nudist Youth Camps
- AANR Youth Camps Ambused on John Walsh TV Show
- The Mark Foley Follies
- A New Study About Social Nudity and Children
Growing Up Without Shame: (excerpts from 1996 landmark study)
- Part 1: Conclusions: Is Family Nudity Child Abuse? (PDF)
- Part 2: Child Raw Data Collected, 1986-1996 (PDF)
- Part 3: Sample of Survey Used (PDF)
- Bibliography of source material on nudism, sexual behavior, and children (135k PDF format.)
Freedom of Speech
FCC and the National Debate:
- Janet Jackson's "Wardrobe Malfunction" Aftermath (2004-2010)
- Supreme Court Upholds FCC Indecency Rule (2009)
- From the Left: Morality Zealots Threaten TV and Radio (2006)
- Family Television Council Manufactures FCC Complaints (2006)
- From the Right: Damned Clothing-Optional Liberals! (2002)
- GOP Activists Is Proud of His Nudism (2005)
Nudity and Pornography:
Nudity and Community Standards:
Nudity and The Arts
- Selfies, Celebrity and the Right to Privacy
- The Shameless Kim Kardassian
- Chelsey Handler vs Instagram
- The Free the Nipple Campaign!
- Jennifer Lawrence — An expectation of privacy?
- 400 Selfies Project
- Keira Knightly on Nude Photos
- Nudists Condem Facebook's Uneven Nudity Policy
- Naked Dating lawsuit
- Naked Rambler Learns There is No Inherent Right to Be Naked
- Declaring San Bernardino Mountains a National Monument Poses Potential Threat to Nude Hiking There
What Americans Really Think About Social Nudity
Nudity and Health
- Coming Soon to Your Town: Nude Yoga Classes!
- In a Terrorist Attack, People Would Rather Die Than Be Naked
- Are You Addicted to Tanning?
- If You Are Allergic to the Sun…
- 15 Reasons Why the Sun is Good for You
- Are Bras Really Healthy For Women?
- Celebrate Nude Gardening Day!
- Communal Bathing — A Growing Popular Pasttime
- Study Shows Hot Tubs Hurt Male Fertility
- USA Today: Premarital Sex is the Norm
- History of Nudism in the United States (1933-2000)
- Great Moments in Nudist History, 1863-1992
- A History of the Top Freedom Movement in the U.S. (2003)
- National Geographic: Nudism in the U.S. Today (2004)
- Big Sur's Esalen Seeks Its Next Generation (2004)
- Remembering XB58 - The First U.S. Nude Beach
- Ilsley Boone: A Biography — Founder of ASA
- Lee Baxandall Dies — Founded Naturist Society
If you don't tell your story, someone else will tell it for you — Sitrick & Co. motto